In Fall 2021 we celebrated our 5th Anniversary of the inclusion of ALL 17 GLOBAL GOALS in 4 full years of Integrated Science!
Every September the United Nations reports on the issues articulated in the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Five years ago, we made a design commitment. Our designs now intentionally and thoughtfully connect multiple SDGs to each place-based STEM story we use to teach formal science class to learners of Ages 13-20. We tap the power of SDGs to achieve deeper learning over long periods of time. Learn more about the STEM Experts who helped us!
In August 2021, EduChange launched a multi-school action in California. We built a multi-month PBL study on water issues and watershed connectivity that connects 8 SDGs. Local and national experts from the Long Beach Water Department, the EPA’s Bloomwatch team, and a SoCal Edison engineer worked alongside students to share expertise, discuss career pathways, and support place-based STEM.
5 schools participated over the course of 5 months, and close to 1000 students in Grades 9-10 got hands-on experience with water issue that touch them personally, locally and globally:
- Watersheds, sinking aquifers, saltwater intrusion
- Groundwater, wells, monitoring and water quality testing
- River pollution & protection, with case studies of Rio Santiago in Jalisco, MX and Flint River in MI, USA
- Hydropower, drought and energy infrastructure
- Phytoplankton Blooms, HABs and biomagnification — including Community Science with the EPA!
- Sustainability in the Gulf of California and the creation of the Cabo Pulmo Marine Reseve
- Overfishing, Aquaculture and the Future of Seafood
- Ocean Protection & Conservation