The Integrated Science Program
Before it was a program, it was a professional development initiative that immersed teachers in materials. We knew that new models of teaching & learning required ongoing coaching support for diverse teachers.
We now have a program establishment period, whose duration depends on the pathway you choose. See below for a general overview of how we support classroom communities during this period.
- Students join the teachers to learn about the Sustainable Open Education Resources (SOER) model, Digital Citizenship, personalizing their digital portfolio, and homework expectations.
- Teachers receive materials and learn how to navigate them. They practice, plan, and prepare with EduChange staff & their colleagues.
- Leaders meet to discuss scheduling, virtual PD for teachers, ongoing parent communications, technology guidelines, and laboratory use &supplies.
- Parents receive information and learn how to support their students.
- In our immersive PD model, timely tips, supports and guidance is embedded for “just-in-time” support.
- All teachers participate in regularly-scheduled, virtual PD with EduChange staff to gain assistance, ask questions, and troubleshoot.
- Student work is reviewed occasionally to calibrate assessment materials.
- Family members and students engage in occasional home-based activities that allow students to share what they are learning, and reflect on how they are learning.
- Each year during the establishment period, teachers participate in a survey and focus group discussion for data collection purposes.
- After the second and third years of the program, students participate in a survey and focus group discussion for data collection purposes.
- Each year during the establishment period, leaders participate in a reflective discussion and share data if needed.
- Data are shared with teachers and leaders, and are used to determine next steps with the program, and potentially with other school courses or activities.
This patented system reminds us that we need to balance screen time with social, active dialogue. And why not foster critical thinking and deepen conceptual knowledge? Even better!
Learn about this classroom tool, and see below for a general overview of how we get teachers implementation-ready in a half-day workshop.
Contact us if you’re interested in moving forward!
- This hands-on, practical workshop sends teachers into the classroom ready to implement!
- Students may participate in part of the workshop, if desired.
- Materials are given that day–it’s a gift-giving celebration!
- Teachers use Concept Builders in the classroom, and try their own inventions!
- Students learn the color-shape system in 3-5 weeks if used once or twice weekly in the classroom.
- Coaches can continue to work with EduChange staff to improve implementation.
- At the end of a full year of implementation, teachers participate in a survey and focus group discussion for data collection purposes.
- Leaders participate in a reflective discussion and share data if needed.
- Data are shared with teachers and leaders, and are used to determine next steps.